Friday, August 14, 2009

Fiston

Been four years this summer since my uncle passed away.  Jean-Yves "Fiston" Giroux was a barber, had his own shop in Hull, and pretty much cut my hair all my life.  I'll always carry fond and vivid memories of that place. 
 
It was a real barbershop, always two or three clients, men only, more often than not in a heated argument, barber chair with the ashtray at the end of the armrest, and worn out posters of out of fashion hairstyles on the dirty walls.  A simple brush cut could take up to a half hour because of all the talking my uncle was doing.  And after their haircuts, a lot of customers would sit back down and continue the conversation instead of leaving.  Amazing.

The day after he died, I went out and bought myself a good clipper.  Been cutting my own hair ever since (what's left of it anyways, see last picture) and swore that I would never sit in another barber chair for the rest of my life.  Still at it to this day.

 








1 comment:

  1. I remember these special spectacular shots.
    Love the story as well.

    Good to see them again my friend.

    aaron

    ReplyDelete